How To: Staying Safe in Parking Lots
Following these tips can help you stay safe in parking lots, day and night.
Each time you pull into a parking lot, you probably don’t think about much except trying to find the best parking space. Unfortunately, you can be a very easy target in a parking lot, even if you don’t realize it. Keep these parking lot safety tips in mind to help you stay safe the next time you pull into a lot.
While walking in a parking lot:
- Walk briskly at stay alert at all times with your shoulders back and head up. Criminals scope out parking lots for easy targets, including people who are preoccupied or slouched over.
- Do not use your phone while walking through a parking lot. Talking on the phone or sending a text will take your focus away from what is going on around you.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. If you notice any suspicious activity going on, head back into the store and inform a security guard.
- Keep your keys in your hand so that you are ready to open your vehicle as soon as possible.
When you get to your car:
- Look into your windows and under your vehicle before you get inside to ensure nobody is waiting for you.
- If someone approaches your car while you are inside, keep your windows rolled up and doors shut.
- Lock your doors and start your car as soon as you get inside.
If you see any suspicious activity in the lot:
- Do not head to your car. Instead, stay inside in a safe area and call for help.
- If you don’t feel comfortable walking to your car by yourself, ask a security guard to escort you out.
For more tips on staying safe in Ventura County parking lots, contact the security professionals at Cornwall Security Services in Westlake Village, California. We provide top-notch security services to ensure you can always feel safe, no matter where you are.