Water Conservation Tips For Californians
How To: Save Water
The rising mercury as the summer sets in makes the deep drought we have been experiencing even more problematic. So you can do your part to help save the precious resource of water while California struggles to survive this deep drought, use these water conservation tips.
- Leave your lawn clippings on the grass. This will help keep the ground cool and preserve the moisture in the soil.
- If you drop an ice cube on the floor, do not simply throw it away. Instead, drop it in a house plant that needs a drink.
- Stop using running water to thaw frozen food. Instead, transfer food into the refrigerator the night before to let it defrost. If you find yourself having a hard time remembering, put a reminder on your phone or get in the habit of transferring food from the freezer when you make dinner each night.
- To wash fruits and vegetables, fill a pan up with water instead of letting the tap run.
- Never run a load of laundry that is less than full. Wash your dark clothes in cold water to save both water and energy and keep them from fading.
- Similarly, only run your dishwasher once it is full. Also, do not hand wash any dishes that can go through the dishwasher, as hand washing uses more water.
- Shorten your shower by two minutes. If you can do this, you can save up to 150 gallons of water a month.
- Deal with any leaks in your house as soon as you notice them.
- Re-landscape your yard to be more drought tolerant. Hint: native plants generally need less water.
We hope you will join us in doing all we can to save water!
If you have any security needs in Westlake Village and the surrounding Southern California area, contact Cornwall Security Services today.